Why fluoride varnish?
Fluoride varnish is one of the most effective ways to prevent tooth decay and cavities. It is also very easy to apply! The varnish is simply painted on the teeth with a disposable brush -- similar to painting fingernails!
Fluoride varnish strengthens teeth and can even reverse early decay!
While it takes just a minute or two to paint the teeth, the varnish stays on for several hours. Its benefits last for months! Varnish can be safely applied to people of all ages. It must be applied regularly to prevent cavities.
Children should receive regular fluoride varnish treatments if they have any of these risk factors for tooth decay:
- Has poor oral hygiene habits (does not brush twice daily and floss daily)
- Has had a cavity
- Has a parent or sibling who has had a cavity
- Wears braces or other orthodontic appliances
- Has white spots on the teeth
- Regularly drinks sports drinks, soda, juice, sweet tea or other sweet beverages
- Frequently snacks on candy, sweets or other foods with processed sugars/starches (crackers, fruit snacks, chips, etc.)