Show your love without sweet treats
Valentine’s Day is associated with candy and sweet treats, but there are so many other ways to show someone you love them! Not only do these sugar-filled treats affect your child’s mood, they can also lead to cavities, diabetes and obesity. Those are not things we want for our loved ones! When we give candy as a reward or use it to show our love, we teach children to turn to sweets when they are feeling unloved or unaccepted.
You can help your child associate love and acceptance with these healthy alternatives.
- Let your child pick a game to play after dinner!
- Cuddle up on the couch and read a new book!
- Invite some friends over to make a Valentine’s craft!
- Teach your child to show love to others by volunteering in your community!
- Take your child to their favorite park for a picnic! It just may be warm enough this year!
Here are some fun and healthy ideas for school Valentine's.
- Pens, pencils or erasers
- Temporary tattoos
- Friendship bracelets
- Toy cars
- Silly straws
- Glow sticks